Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  February 10, 2011 3:00am-4:00am EST

3:00 am
this is a special edition of "piers morgan tonight" with my first ever live studio audience. tonight the one and only donald trump, the man who practically invented the art of the deal. >> it's extremely powerful, and i love it. >> his name is one of the most exclusive ones in new york, married a succession of beautiful women and made me his first celebrity apprentice. what's next for the man everyone calls the donald? is he about to put his famous brand name on the white house? tonight i want to ask what a president trump would to do revive america's prosperity.
3:01 am
>> something is wrong. we're not respected throughout the world. >> and why he says everybody else is ripping off the united states. finally, let me just warn you, he never got to fire me, but i might fire him tonight, all next on a live edition of "piers morgan tonight." [ applause ] >> good evening. donald trump is my special guest tonight in front of our first ever live audience. mr. trump, they've come for you. >> that's really nice. [ applause ] >> and thank you at home for joining us. you can tweet me with your questions @piersmorgan. mr. trump, can i call you donald finally? >> you certainly may. >> i have always had to call you mr. trump. >> please.
3:02 am
>> donald, i'll talk to you about everything from your billion dollar businesses to your possible run for the white house but definitely about your taste in women. we've also got breaking political news. a republican congressman from new york resigned three hours ago after a report surfaced on the website gawker. it shows a shirtless photo of himself to a woman who wasn't his wife. much more later, but an exclusive interview with the blogger who uncovered that and reaction of donald trump. donald -- >> by the way, that's going to be some reaction. he only lasted three hours. that was a quick one. >> let me ask you straightaway what is your reaction to that breaking news? >> well, i know a lot of politicians, and i can tell you that they're not so different from this guy other than they don't do it on facebook or whatever he was doing it on, and there's a lot of affairs going on in congress, and i know a lot of guys that are having affairs, and they happen to be politicians. >> i tell you what, we'll come back, and so -- >> we'll come back to it. live on air.
3:03 am
>> you like that answer, though. >> well, well, well, this is good. >> we'll talk to the blogger who broke the story. that's what i want to talk to you in more detail about. the obvious question given this is all breaking, there are all these rumors. are you or are you not going to run for the presidency? you're a straight talker. you don't take any crap. you tell it like it is. you've always been totally honest with me. what's the answer? >> if i was honest, i certainly was. i chose you as my celebrity apprentice. the country is doing very poorly. it just can't do much worse. we're not respected anywhere in the world. i am seriously thinking about it. i won't make a decision till june, but i will make a decision, and it may surprise people, frankly, but i will make a decision sometime prior to june. i love this country. i hate what's happened to this country. we're a laughingstock throughout the world. we're not respected. when you look at what's happening in various places that we've always supported and, frankly, that we got along with the other places that are
3:04 am
collapsing, you don't see the other places collapsing. a lot of that is a lack of respect for our country, piers. you know how i feel. you know very much how i feel. we just don't have it anymore as a country. you look at what china is doing to us, how they're just ripping us left and right. they're taking our jobs. we're rebuilding china. worse than china is opec. they wouldn't be there except for us. 12 men sit around the table. they set the price of fuel. they set the price of $3.50 for your car right now a gallon. guess what that's going to be, $5, $6 and $7. of course, there's nobody here that calls them and says, fellows, you better not do it. >> so let me assume you're president for a moment, and i've got a funny feeling you are going to run because i think you think your time has come and particularly with republicans in certain disarray. you have sarah palin and the moderates, and there may be a middle ground to storm through if you wanted to do that. assume you're the president. what are the top priorities for president trump? >> the first thing i would do is
3:05 am
announce very strongly we'll tax chinese products, 25% tax on all chinese products. they will come to the table immediately and stop manipulating their currency, which they're doing. it's very hard for our companies to compete with china because of the manipulation of their currency. i buy a lot of products. i'm building buildings all over the place, glass and steel and lots of other things. it's very hard for our countries to compete with china. we make better products than them. by the way, that's the most important thing, we make better products. you look at their sheetrock making people sick and killing people all over the country. jobs closed up. the sheetrock was -- >> you see them as the enemy. >> i see them as the enemy. they know they're the enemy. they are the enemy. they say they're the enemy. >> they're not an enemy in the sense they don't want to kill you. kill you in business. >> they want to take over this country economically. >> but that's different to wanting to kill you like an al qaeda or something. >> well -- >> when i hear you say -- >> very bad.
3:06 am
>> when i hear you say enemy, i think it's too strong a word. they are a business competitor who at the moment is outcompeting america. >> they are not really outcompeting. they're cheating. when you cheat, and we have people that don't know what to do because we have the wrong people in office, that's not outcompeting. >> do you think we have smart enough people to deal with the chinese and the indians and these new competitors out there in business? >> i think they're smart, but i don't think they have any savvy. they don't have the savvy. they don't have what it takes. we should put our best -- you know who we have negotiating with the chinese? diplomats. you know what a diplomat is? a person that from a young age is trained how to be nice. in other words, you could never be a diplomat. but a person -- everybody said he should be fired. every week they wanted me to fire you. i couldn't fire him because he was so smart. >> i wouldn't be here without you. >> that's right. [ applause ] >> now, you're terrific. frankly, you'd be a very good negotiator. >> so would you. this is why i'm interested about your presidential possible
3:07 am
campaign because i think we do need people like you running trade negotiations and diplomacy, frankly, with these countries. there seems to me at the moment the chinese think it's not a military threat. it's a business threat, and they are doing it better and faster and cheaper than anybody else in the world. i wouldn't -- i went to shanghai recently. i was just stunned by what i found. 25 million people in this country, in that city just going crazy for business, and they just wanted to be number one. there are towns in china that sell 95% of the world's duvets. you know, they manufacture 85% of the world's buttons. now, i don't think that's the enemy. i think it's a potential business friend, isn't it? can't we work with them? >> i don't think they're friends. i think they're enemies. i deal with chinese. i just sold an apartment to a chinese, an apartment for $33 million a short while ago, a couple of months ago. i'm supposed to like the chinese, but i understand the chinese, and i deal with them all the time. this is before they thought i might run for president.
3:08 am
they consider our leaders extremely stupid people. they cannot believe what they get away with. whether it's the olympics where they put people under age and say, no, no, no, and then we find out it was true, and they say, oh, we just didn't know or whether they have the beautiful girl singing the national anthem, their national anthem, but it wasn't her singing, so many different things. i mean the chinese are looking to put us under, and believe me, they are not our friends. i'm surprised at you because you're not somebody that's easily misled or -- >> here's what i think. >> they are not our friend. >> why can't america do to the chinese what they do to america, which is they make a lot of goods in america that they want, and they make them cheaply and make them fast. why can't america start going back to its great manufacturing days, and you target in china stuff they need from america. they need big machinery. that could be made here, and that could be sold at a good profit and create jobs in america, but i don't see people in america taking that position. >> piers, you have to level the playing field.
3:09 am
i buy so many products, glass as an example, a curtain wall for a building, and they all come in, and 90% of the companies with the glass are coming in from china. i don't want to buy glass from china, but our companies can't compete, not because they're not good, not because they're not even better but because of the fact that the chinese are manipulating their currency and make it very, very tough for us to compete. now, what i would say, how do you solve that problem? they're never going to solve it or treat us well unless -- >> this is american glass, by the way. >> you don't know that. it's actually plastic. it's actually plexiglas. almost. you're almost -- >> nearly american glass. >> i feel better with plexiglas, but the fact is that the chinese are looking to do damage to us economically. they're also building up a military and now starting their own aircraft manufacturing, which is going to be very bad for boeing because they come in with this phony deal, about $40 billion worth of airplanes, which is nothing by comparison to who they're cheating us at.
3:10 am
i hate to use strong words. that's what it is. if you read the real economists and real people that know what's going on, it's an unfair playing field. here's what happens, you say what would i do? i would immediately announce a tax of 25%. the first thing that's going to happen, the chinese -- >> have a trade war. >> we don't have free trade. you know i believe in free trade, right? but we don't have free trade. we have very, very unfair trade. i call it unfair trade. i would tax them 25%. they would come to the table immediately. the other thing i'd do is get our best business leaders. i wouldn't use the diplomats. i'd use the killers on wall street of which i know every one of them. i would put this one in charge of negotiating with china. i'd put this one in charge of negotiating with india. we would do very well. we have the greatest business people in the world. >> before we go to a break, let me put one thing to you, in business, you can be ruthless. i've seen it, and you're successful because of it. you kill competitors, don't you? aren't the chinese just behaving like donald trump?
3:11 am
don't we just need more people like you to compete with them? >> you need to have people who know how to deal with the chinese. we don't have those people. the chinese president comes in, and we give him a five-star dinner at the white house. i don't give my people who are not fair to me five-star dinners. i wouldn't have -- i would have said, come to my office, let's talk, and if we don't work out a deal, we send him to mcdonald's and send him back. >> we're going to come back. [ applause ] we're going to come back after the break with more of barack obama, sarah palin and about the state of the middle east but also want to get your views. tweet me now @piersmorgan. give me some hard questions for donald trump, and i'll put them to him. [ applause ] [ female announcer ] sometimes you need tomorrow to finish what you started today. for the aches and sleeplessness in between, there's motrin pm.
3:12 am
no other medicine, not even advil pm, is more effective for pain and sleeplessness. motrin pm.
3:13 am
3:14 am
and our breaking political news. republican congressman christopher lee of new york resigned following a report that he sent a shirtless photo of himself to a woman, not his wife. it was published, and they said he had corresponded with the woman who posted a craigslist advert.
3:15 am
we have the woman who broke the story, maureen o'connor, and she joins us to tell us how she got the story. congratulations on your scoop. >> hi. >> how did you get this? >> a woman reached out to us. she was a woman from maryland, 34 years old and said, i had this crazy chance encounter with a congressman, so we followed up with it. she had placed a personal ad on craigslist looking for someone to date, and one of the responses she got was from the personal e-mail account of the representative christopher lee from western new york, although he told her he was a lobbyist and younger than his actual age. he responded, he said, i'm a fit, fun, classy guy, and let's go on a date. so they corresponded back and forth. he sent her some photographs, and as the flirting went on, she eventually saw fit to put his name into a search engine, and the e-mail addrress, and lo and behold, the pictures were the exact same man, the same christopher lee in congress 46 years old and married.
3:16 am
>> now, mr. lee resigned within three hours of this story appearing. >> he did. >> that must be one of the fastest resignations for a story that's broken in this manner. are you taken aback by the speed of his resignation? >> yes, it was very quick, and part of what is so surprising is that this woman said she never met him. she cut off contact when she realized he was, in fact, a married person and not the person she thought. so we don't actually have evidence of him getting together with this woman or actually cheating on his wife, only that he was flirting with someone. in addition to that, it's really surprising how he barely covered his tracks. it was the flimsiest of lies, he's a lobbyist. real picture, real e-mail account that he uses not only to correspond with family and friends but the same e-mail address he registered his facebook page under, so this was a very easily found out lie and easily uncovered. if anything, it's really shocking how little effort he took to cover his tracks. >> maureen, congratulations again. it's a great story for you and for gawker, and i'm going to
3:17 am
turn straight to you, donald. what is your take generally on politicians and sexual morality? should in the modern age politicians have to resign over, as we saw then, not even really an affair, just putting a silly picture on a website? >> he should resign because he's stupid. i man, can you imagine? this is what i'm getting at with china [ applause ] >> no, no, this is what i'm getting at. these are the people representing us in negotiations with china. okay, and then you wonder why are we losing to china and opec. so i don't know. like i mean -- >> do you feel sorry for him? >> you feel sorry for the person, but this was really ridiculous. it's one thing you get caught having an affair, get caught doing something. he takes his shirt off and advertises himself, and he is a married congressman, so he's not a super genius. he's not what we want in congress. >> is it more a question for you than just a bad judgment rather than the morality of it? >> well, it's morality, but it's also bad judgment. it's, you know, very, very
3:18 am
faulty judgment. he must be disturbed in some way. that is really -- that is really sort of like bad news. >> would you fire a senior employee at your company for a similar thing? >> if he's married and starts sending pictures of himself, i mean the difference is in all fairness he is a united states congressman representing the country. my employees are representing me. it's wonderful and great and everything else, but it's different. here's a guy that's out in the public. he gets elected by thousands and thousands of people in a district, and he's sending, you know, not nude -- what he did is he's sending a picture of himself with -- he doesn't look like that good looking of a guy and doesn't have that good of a build. >> he's not in bad shape. >> not bad. would i do it? maybe not in that case for the immorality but stupid. i would probably say you're fired. he would not have lasted long. >> i remember it to be a few years ago asking you about president bush in comparison to president clinton. one was judged and wasn't
3:19 am
impeached over the iraq war. you felt strongly at the time perhaps he should have been, and president clinton, of course, was treated more censoriously by his country for sexual shenanigans. do you still feel that was the wrong way around? perhaps we got our priorities wrong? >> well, i thought -- i'm a republican. i'm a very good republican, but i thought bush was a terrible president, was a terrible leader. the country had no spirit, and ultimately he did so badly at the end that we have obama. that's what we have. i mean i always say a gift from president bush. i thought clinton actually had >> you're not a fan of the president. >> no, i've never been a fan because, look, i am the most militant person there is. i'm a big war guy in terms i want total defense. i perhaps want an increase in defense spending, but you don't attack the wrong country. iraq did not knock down the world trade center. as it turned out, he did attack the wrong country, and, frankly, they used to kill terrorists in iraq. you could not be a terrorist and last a day in iraq. now it's the harvard -- it's the breeding ground for terrorists.
3:20 am
everybody that wants to be a terrorist, they go to iraq, they go to afghanistan, they go to the places where we are. the fact is bush i thought was not good. clinton was a good president, but it was so marred with this whole monica thing. he is a friend of mine. he is a lovely guy. he is a great guy. i really like him, but i thought they treated him very, very harshly absolutely. >> and yet he's popular now, more popular than he's ever been. >> that's because he's a quality guy. he really is. he is a democrat, but he's a quality guy. also a member of my golf club. >> what is your view of president obama right now? >> i think he's a nice man. i think he's in over his head. it's amazing the way he got the job. i respect him for getting the job, but it's amazing the way he got the job. he signed up people on street corners in chicago, all of a sudden he's the president of the united states. >> i mean he got a hell of a shellacking, as he put it, in the midterms, but his ratings right now, mid-50s, are significantly higher than ronald reagan and president clinton at the same time, their
3:21 am
administration, so he's doing pretty well actually. >> the fact is he's doing well, and the republicans have let him back into the game because during the lame duck session, i don't know what happened with the republicans, i don't know who was leading them, but they totally gave him credibility. he was jimmy carter, and now he's the phoenix. >> who is leading republicans, and who should be? >> i don't think there is a leader right now of the candidates. romney i guess would be somebody that people are thinking about, but it's not resonating. sarah palin is somebody that i happen to like. i just don't think she can win the election, and a lot of people agree. she can win the primary perhaps, but she can't -- she can't win the election. i can tell you obama is dying to run against sarah palin. and you can't do that again as a republican party. you can't put somebody like in delaware, christine o'donnell, where she beats somebody who would have won by 15, beats them in the primary and gets killed in the election. >> is this precisely why you're so tempted to run?
3:22 am
>> well, i am tempted to run, but i think the primary reason i'm tempted, yes, i think i could win, otherwise i wouldn't do it. i'm not doing it to come in fourth place. in theory i shouldn't be able to win because they've always said somebody with great accomplishments, somebody who's done many, many deals -- i've done hundreds and hundreds of deals, and i have beaten a lot of people. i'm not saying it braggingly. i've beaten a lot of people, and those guys are not nice guys, and i have lots of enemies and lots of different things, and i've always heard that people like me cannot win because there's too many enemies, but whether it's me or somebody else, you need a person like me to run this country for awhile because we have to get this country back so that we're respected again. we have to get this country back so that this country is making the big profits, not china, not india. i mean, american express, you call up your american express card, the people are based in india that answer the phone. our people can't answer a phone? so we have all of this outsourcing to countries all over the world.
3:23 am
in the meantime, we have -- >> isn't -- i mean -- >> we have really an 18% unemployment, not 9%. we have 18% unemployment. >> i get what you're saying, but aren't you being quite defensive about it? isn't there a way -- >> defensive? >> i know you're being aggressive. it's kind of passive aggression. isn't the way to deal with it, you go on the attack. you wouldn't say, this is unfair. you know something, right, shirt sleeves up, let's go get them. and when we come back after the break, i want to know how you, shirt sleeves rolled up, will get america back on its feet. [ applause ] lock buzzing, indistinct conversations ] [ female announcer ] important events can sneak up on you. oh, i am not ready. can i have a couple weeks? [ female announcer ] but with yoplait light's two week tune up, you could be ready. you could lose 5 pounds in 2 weeks when you replace breakfast and lunch with a fruit, grain, and yoplait light. betsy bets. you haven't changed a bit. oh...neither have you... sean.
3:24 am
well, yeah. [ female announcer ] go to yoplait.com to start your two week tune up. to find out how much people love clean sheets. take one of those pillows and take a big smell. they smell really fresh. aw! this is hot. [ male announcer ] what if we told you we washed these sheets seven days ago? -really? -no way. are you serious? downy! [ male announcer ] ultra downy april fresh. uhh. gimme. [ male announcer ] give us a week and we'll change your bed forever. next stop, facebook. where a man lives the challenge in a macy's window for a week. ♪
3:25 am
you need the patch. (announcer) icy hot patches. targeted no-mess relief. icy to dull pain. hot to relax it away. pain's no match for the icy hot patch.
3:26 am
3:27 am
[ applause ] back now with my special guest donald trump. donald, what would you do to fix america? put aside china, the trade issue for a moment. there's something inherently wong with the system in this country which led to the financial crisis, isn't there? 10% of americans are unemployed, probably more, as you say. what's the answer here? you're a great employer. tell me how to solve it. >> well, for one thing we're protecting the world. why are we protecting south korea without being paid, okay. they're a competitor. they make a tremendous amount of money off us. they sell their televisions and everything else. why are we protecting south korea? we signed a horrible trade agreement with south korea. they weren't going to sign it then north korea lobbed a couple
3:28 am
of bombs over there, and they said, we're a great partner, and we send the "ss george washington," the most incredible aircraft carrier i've ever seen and 17 destroyers right into north korea. why aren't they paying us? why are we protecting them? they make hundreds of billions of dollars of profits against the united states. you know, one of the great ones, 52 million -- i don't know how many folks in the audience see this. a few months ago, 52 million in cash in a briefcase was sent to afghanistan. you know that? it ended up in dubai, 52 million. you know that 52 million was actually 100 million probably, but, you know, somebody stole it along the way, whether it's a soldier -- i want to know who is the colonel or the general or whoever it is that approved 52 million in cash. it definitely wasn't 52. i guarantee you. >> if you were president, would you take all american troops out of afghanistan and iraq now? >> well -- >> trade away. >> iraq i'd get them out real fast. afghanistan is not the bigger problem.
3:29 am
the bigger problem is pakistan. you have to know when you fight a battle, you have to know who to fight. pakistan probably has osama bin laden. now, think of it. you have a 6'6" arab, and we can't find him, who is on a dialysis machine, and we can't find him. you tell us this with all our so-called intelligence. the guy is 6'6", pretty unusual. we can't find osama bin laden. there's something wrong. we give hundreds of billions of dollars to pakistan, and they're probably housing him. he may be housed, frankly, in saudi arabia because you think saudi arabia is our friend. i mean nobody hurts us like saudi with the fuel prices. >> saudi, as i mentioned to you tonight, the other breaking news is the king of saudi arabia has been very firm with president obama basically telling him to leave off mubarak and, you know, keep our big noses out of it allegedly, so what do you think of that situation as it's developing? you're beginning to see the old order in the middle east standing up to america and saying this is our business, not yours. >> they're standing up for the first time because they don't
3:30 am
respect us anymore. they didn't used to stand up. they're standing up now because they didn't respect. they're standing up now because they can do anything they want. you have to go over there and see some of the airports they're building. they make kennedy airport look like it's a third world country. laguardia and i go into abu dhabi and qatar, and it's like the most incredible things you've ever seen. we're like a third world country, and they wouldn't be there. look at kuwait. saddam hussein attacks kuwait. we then go in, get them out, we lose lives, spend hundreds of billions of dollars, we put out red adair. we put out all the oil well fires. we handed back the country. now they don't invest in the united states because you know why, they say the return on investment is not good enough. we're not going to invest. >> maybe they have a point, and here's the other point. some companies like general motors and coca-cola are investing heavily in places like china and doing well. isn't the answer to go where the business enemy is and take them on at their own game and make money out of them?
3:31 am
isn't that what you would do? >> i think it's great, but if you look at what happened to general electric, what happened with them with technology, they had to give up all their technology to kind and build plants in china and do all these things. hey, i like the chinese. i'm fine with the chinese, and if i were them, i'd be doing the same thing if i could get away with it. we can't let them continue to get away -- >> what are the other problems here? you saw the disintegration of the financial system. you can't just blame foreign competition. what was wrong with the system here that should now be put right properly? >> look, you're always going to have problems with financial systems. i went to the wharton school of finance, the best business school probably in the world and dealt with people, super brilliant people. i know how smart they are. regulation, they don't know what a regulation is, and they find ways around them. you have smart guys writing regulations, but you have smarter guys figuring out how -- >> should bankers, the same bankers that got us into the mess now, be allowed in regulation ways to be awarding themselves huge bonuses?
3:32 am
>> look what happened with chase today. they got caught for taking advantage of military and soldiers that are in afghanistan and iraq and taking advantage of them. i think it's terrible. what chase has done i think is terrible, and i think what the banks are doing right now, they took all the money, the taxpayer money, and if you go in, if anybody in this audience wants a home loan, you're not going to get it, okay, you're not going to get it. >> because they're awarded themselves millions in bonuses. >> i'm saying i do believe it's terrible. they took all of this money to stay solvent. they're taking big bonuses, but here's the bigger problem, the big picture problem, they're not loaning the money. there's millions of empty homes because nobody can get -- >> here's a tweet i want you to respond to from kickasnowflake. as president trump who would be the first person you would say you're fired to? >> they want me to say, look, i have had -- >> they want you to say if -- >> if you're president --
3:33 am
>> who's the number one bad guy right now you would fire in america? >> well, can i be honest? i don't want to say -- there's so many of them. there really are. there are so many of them. you look at the department of education. it goes for blocks and blocks and blocks. education should really be -- we have to -- like a little bit of supervision. >> you wouldn't argue -- >> it should be a local thing. >> i was going to mention education to you because the last word with the chinese, isn't it that they are educating their people better now than america is doing and that's why they're also jumping ahead? isn't that true? >> you know where they're educating a lot of their people? at our schools. it's the most amazing thing. they come over, they learn, they go to harvard, they go to wharton, they go to yale, they go to the best schools, then we force them to leave. >> okay. >> no, no, we force them to leave. >> when we come back, i'll ask you as a man who wins and knows how to pick a winner, which is where i come in, how are we going to win?
3:34 am
[ applause ]
3:35 am
3:36 am
3:37 am
piers, you're a vicious guy. i've seen it. we can try and dispute it. you can try and dispute it. you're tough. you're smart. you're probably brilliant. i'm not sure. you're certainly not diplomatic, but you did an amazing job, and you beat the hell out of everybody, and you won by far more than anybody. trace, you're a special human being, a beautiful guy. i'll always love you, but for tonight, piers, you're the celebrity apprentice. [ cheers and applause ]
3:38 am
>> that was, of course, my triumphant moment winning season one of nbc's "celebrity apprentice." donald, quite terrifying and arduous on all that kind of thing, but at the end i realized why you're such a winner, because you pick the right guy. >> well, i -- i know that you're being cute, but the fact is i did pick the right guy, and trace was fantastic, and many other people in that group were fantastic, and, frankly, trace adkins is the number one country singer. i was complaining, who the hell's heard of him? so trace is not complaining either. >> what does it take in. general -- and i've read your books before i competed on your show to try to get inside your brain, and i like the one called "think big and kick ass," the trump philosophy, don't go micro on these things, think big and you can win. is that your steely philosophy? >> not everybody can think big. home builders build one home,
3:39 am
and they do a great service to the community, and people do small jobs and do a great service. not everybody can think big. if everybody did, it would be a pretty crowded world out there. it wouldn't be very pleasant, but i think that you should within reason think as big as you can, and you know it's very interesting with that book -- that book did very well. my books all go to number one or best-sellers. >> of course. >> but that book, i have to tell you because of the kick ass didn't do quite as well because a lot of parents -- it was around christmastime, and a lot of parents couldn't buy it for their child because they didn't like the title. really true. i said, why isn't that book selling like everything else? they really had a problem giving a 7-year-old kid a book with that title. >> here's a really interesting aspect to your character. you've never had a drop of alcohol in your life, have you? >> that's right. ever. >> i find that amazing when i discovered that. >> well, for me it was very easy. >> never touched a drug? >> no, i've never had drugs. >> never smoked cigarettes? >> never had cigarettes. >> don't drink coffee. >> and i don't drink coffee, and i have other problems, i guess.
3:40 am
>> we'll come to the women in a moment. >> i didn't necessarily mean -- >> women are your vice, right? >> i respect women. i find women very beautiful. i think women are great. i have a fantastic wife, melania. >> you told me once you had an older brother who was an alcoholic, and he died of alcoholism, and he told you before he died "don't drink and don't smoke." >> well, i had an older brother named fred who was a great guy, a handsome guy, the most handsome guy that you've ever seen. he had everything going, but he -- and he loved flying airplanes and was a pilot, a professional pilot, and somewhere along the line -- i think it was in college -- he started drinking, and he got worse and worse, and he also smoked a lot. and he would tell me -- and he was quite a bit older than me, about ten years older. he would say "don't ever smoke, don't ever drink. don't ever smoke, don't ever
3:41 am
drink," and i say that to my kids now. no drinking, no drugs, no alcohol. i also say and no tattoos because i think tattoos are horrible. i see this tattoo phase. >> do they follow your lead? >> so far my kids have been following my lead, but i drive them crazy. they go, "dad, will you stop?" i had this great brother who had everything going, but he became an alcoholic. he smoked a lot, but forget the smoking. he became an alcoholic, and ultimately he died. he had amazing genes that he lasted as long as he did but was a severe alcoholic. he was an amazing guy, and he was in a certain way -- my father was a great teacher, but he was one of my great teachers, if not my best, but he got me not to smoke, not to drink, and, you know, it's tremendous having -- i went to college, and i had a friend who hated the taste of scotch, just hated it. he said, "donald, i'm working so hard to develop a taste for scotch." i said, "listen, you're lucky. just don't have it." he said, "no, no, i want to do it. it's social." he's now today a very bad alcoholic, and scotch is his --
3:42 am
>> even though he hated the taste to start with. >> he hated the taste. he wanted to develop a taste. i say to people, don't drink. you know it's so easy. must be hard. it's not hard if you don't drink >> what about business dinners? i go to quite a few of them. by midnight they're rolling out drunk. what do you think of that? >> there's a banker, and obviously i'm not going to mention names nor am i going to mention the congressmen, all of whom i know. i see his eyes lighting up right now, but i won't mention them. >> 20 minutes. >> with me it goes to the grave. but i'll never forget a very respected banker, highly respected, and he was making a speech at the waldorf astoria, and he was very tipsy, and shortly thereafter he was stone cold drunk. probably 2,000 people, 1,500 people at this dinner and a very big event, and we carried him out on his back, and i never felt the same way about him. i see him today, and i just don't feel the same way. he was stone cold drunk in a big dinner, and i didn't even know
3:43 am
he drank. we carried him out literally on his back and -- >> is he still a senior banker? >> he just retired, but he was a very powerful banker, one of the biggest, and i never felt the same way about him. >> you lost respect for him. >> i lost respect for him. i lost respect for him. >> when we come back, i'll talk to you about your own great area of expertise, the female form. >> oh, wow. [ applause ] ♪ [ male announcer ] sitting. waiting. hoping. that's a recipe for failed investing. open an e-trade account and open doors, seize opportunities, take action with some of the most powerful yet easy-to-use trading tools on the planet. all built to help you maximize the potential of every dollar you invest. successful investing isn't done by throwing ideas against the wall and hoping. it's done by lowering your costs and raising your expectations
3:44 am
by using unbiased research and powerful screeners to build a diversified portfolio with stocks, bonds, mutual funds and every etf sold. and we'll help you every step of the way. with 5-star service and free education covering everything from the basics to advanced investing strategies. start now and we'll give you up to $500 and let you trade free for 60 days. visit our website, call us, open an account. e-trade. investing unleashed. [ woman ] my house wants me to live here for a long time. [ man ] my retirement savings have places to go. [ male announcer ] plans...dreams... they're important to you. [ woman #2 ] our girls should focus on their future, not ours. [ male announcer ] but you can't overlook the possibility that down the road, if you needed some kind of long-term care, everything you've planned for could be at risk.
3:45 am
so i got long-term care insurance. [ male announcer ] help protect your plans with aarp long term care insurance from genworth financial. it can help cover the high costs of long term care, like assisted living or in-home long term care. it's a choice we made for each other and our kids. [ male announcer ] call now to get your free information kit. the national average cost of care is well over $75,000 a year. and, generally, it's not covered by health insurance or medicare. aarp endorsed long term care insurance can help protect your assets, your family, the things you've worked hard to build. choose from a range of affordable plans; including plans with nursing facility and in-home long term care coverage. and typically, the younger and healthier you are when you apply, the lower your rates will be. call for your free information kit to get started. these plans are offered by genworth life insurance company, a leader in long-term care insurance with over 35 years' experience. and they're endorsed by aarp.
3:46 am
but you don't need to be a member to call. long-term care is just one of those things many of us may have to face. if you have dreams, and we all do, now is the time to protect them. i enjoy today because tomorrow has a plan. [ male announcer ] help protect your plans with aarp endorsed long term care insurance underwritten by genworth life insurance company, and in new york, genworth life insurance company of new york. call now or go online for free information. gaue grmatains heyesy.rc g [ applause ]
3:47 am
do with the huge array of dazzlingly beautiful women that you've managed to snare over the year, donald. how have you done it? what's the secret? >> well, i guess it's my looks. i'm a very handsome man. i don't know what it is exactly. well, i've just always admired women, and i mean women, not just beautiful women, women, i'm a great believer in women. i have tremendous respect for women. i was one of the very early people that employed women in the real estate business, especially the construction business. i had a woman build the grand hyatt hotel, which i built at grand central terminal years ago, a long time. i had a woman very much involved at the top level with the construction of trump tower on 5 7th. >> what's more important to you, women or business? >> well, business is more important because i'm a happily married man. >> if i could offer you -- here's a deal for you. if i could offer you a check for $10 billion -- >> billion? >> billion. >> billion. >> the deal is you can't have sex for the next ten years. >> not even with your wife? >> with my wife? no, definitely not with my wife.
3:48 am
>> that would be the best line of the evening. >> $10 billion, but that's the deal. you'd have to give up women or in a sexual way for ten years. >> would that include my wife? >> yes. would you take the deal. >> no, i'd absolutely take my wife. >> really. >> well, i have to say that. [ applause ] i've got to go home. >> you see, so actually it is women in the end, isn't it? one woman. >> women are great. i respect women greatly. always have. >> what kind of husband have you been, do you think? >> well, i think i've been a very good husband lately, but i will say that over the years i've probably been a much better father than a husband. i've been very, very busy with my business. my business, sort of not that it's right, but it always came first, and i remember john paul getty, who was a great man in terms of business, not a great man in terms of life, but in terms of business was saying that -- i was very young, and i listened to him. he was a very old man , and i sort of respected him. he said that "i really find it very hard for a woman and a wife to compete with my business," and he said that.
3:49 am
now, in my case i think i'll maybe do a little modification of that because i have a great family life. i have great kids, but i will say this, i've been a great father, and i've done very well with my children. a lot of people -- i'm getting a lot of credit for my children. they've been good kids. they're smart, went to the best schools. you know ivanka and donald, they're great kids, and they've worked hard and doing -- >> they have huge respect for you too. >> i hope so. >> are you vain? >> i think i am pretty vain. i am. i mean i think the look is very important. i think -- >> what is the look? >> well, it's a lot of different looks. don king used to go around to me and say, "you have the look. you have the look." well, in his own way he has the look. you know -- >> if i want the look, what is it? >> well, you've got a long way to go. no, you've got the look. you have the look. who knows. i'm not talking about a cary grant look. we don't have cary grant today. >> george clooney. >> george clooney, great-looking guy.
3:50 am
it's not just about that. like for instance, i mentioned don king. they tried to imitate him or tried to do something with him in a movie with a replacement. it didn't work. >> i would be remiss not to mention one of your great attributes, which is your hair. >> and it is my hair. >> i know, because i've actually tested it. so it's all real, but probably the most famous hair in america, isn't it? >> well, i guess it is. i can tell you, nbc -- somebody said why continue you shave it? i'm been combing it like this -- i saw some of your pictures, not that one, but i saw some of your pictures from an early day, and it was very similar. i had a friend come up to my office recently, i hadn't seen him till high school this is the greatest looking guy, he walks up to my office, he weighed 100
3:51 am
pounds too much, bald, and you have no idea, big glasses and a cigar. i said, what the hell happened to you? so it is my hair. i'm very happy. >> what do you say to critics who say beauty pageants are at best archaic and at worst, sexist and demeaning no >> they're not archaic, because i bought them and they're doing terrifically in the ratings. >> are they demeaning to women? >> i think the opposite. there's a certain group of women -- you go to alabama, texas, you go to places, it's the hottest thing there is. asia, south america, forget it. in venezuela and colombia, they close down the country to have the ms. universe padgett. it's one of the largest grossing television shows anywhere in the world. it gets tremendous ratings worldwide and it's really good for the girls.
3:52 am
and these are tremendous people. a lot of these young women are tremendous people. >> we're talking of tremendous people. when we come back after the break, we'll talk about your family and your impending new career as a grandfather.
3:53 am
3:54 am
3:55 am
3:56 am
there's no slacking off in the trump family. we work hard. we got great grades. >> we got kind of brought up in a business mindset. it wasn't a convention al relationship, but we did spend a lot of tile together. >> we worked every summer and understood the value of a dollar. >> my father really exalts my grandfather. >> my grandfather is very involved. i think there's a great mutual respect both from a father-son relationship but also as peers and business people. >> the lessons that he taught him, the elements of hard work, the characteristics of what it means to be a great builder. [ applause ] >> that was donald jr., evanka, donald's children. you're about to become a grandfather a third time. this is almost a career. >> that's a tough word to
3:57 am
handle. i spoke to a great friend of mine today, steve winn, and he's a grandfather. i said, what do you do? he said, i tell them to call me steve. i said i'm going to do that. but it's a tough word. >> we had a great tweet. would you children be as successful if they hadn't had the best in life provided to them from an early age? >> i think you really never know. i think they're smart kids and they get into the best schools and get very high grades and everything else. but you never know that. really, if they didn't have a father that didn't have a lot of money, you don't know who's going to be successful or not. they're in a certain circumstance, and within that circumstance, they have been amazing, so far. maybe in ten years you'll be interviewing them, who knows. >> how tough are you? >> pretty tough. i want them to appreciate the value of a dollar and appreciate life.
3:58 am
they have great respect for all people, not just successful people. and i want them to respect people. and i've always been there. you know, it's a very fragile life, piers. you're doing something, i'm doing something, it's all very fragile. i want them to respect all people. >> if your daughter had went off the rails like lindsay lohan, how would you deal with that? >> i know her mother and father and they get terrible press, but i don't think they're bad people. i think they're devastated with what's going on. lindsey wanted to be on "the celebrity apprentice" but we couldn't take her. i want to see her get straightened out. she's a really nice kid but she has problems, between drugs, alcohol and other things, she has some big problems and she's got to solve them. >> rosie o'donnell, speaking of problems, is suggesting the ice
3:59 am
is beginning to melt. are you willing to put it behind you? >> i heard she had some very nice things to say. >> come on. >> and i was shocked. >> make it up. say something nice about her. >> i have to read what she had to say, okay? >> are you ever going to retire? >> no. real estate people never retire. they just don't. everyone in my business, i used to be the youngest in the business, i was pretty good from the beginning. i did a good job, the convention center, big jobs at a very early age and i would watch these guys and they were in their 70s, 80s, 90s, they were all much older people and they never retire. real estate people love what they do. and i think you know what it is? we build beautiful buildings and that makes up for the fact that the face is starting to fall. >> i feel like i need to say something to you. you were so instrumental to me being successful in america and i never had the chce

105 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on